GALLERY: Devonport Services book spot in RNEC Cup final after beating Techs

DEVONPORT Services II’s booked their place in the RNEC cup final after overcoming Devon One side Old Techs 30-9 in a stop-start affair at the Rectory on Wednesday night.

What should have been a good game, like when the two sides met in the last Lockie Cup final, ended up a penalty fest, which led to players and club officials getting frustrated.

In the end, Services’ pack proved the difference with the hosts scoring three of their four tries from line-outs.

Devonport did have quite a strong side out, with a number of players who have tasted South West One this season, but they only really pulled away from Techs mid-way through the second half when they got a third try.

Techs had taken an early lead with a penalty by Billy Evans.

That was cancelled out seven minutes later by one from Services’ Matt Richards.

Evans then missed a long-range effort before he did kick another on 12 minutes to edge his side back in front.

Richards then added another one for the hosts, who did finally get a try in the 25th minute when Jack Seviour went over from a catch-and-drive move to make it 11-6.

And with the last play of the half, Services added a second try from a five-metre line-out with Liam Wiliams getting the ball down for a 16-6 lead at the break.

Techs started the second half well and made a good break but just could not find the final pass. However, they kept the pressure on and did get a penalty that Evans kicked to cut the gap to just one score.

Services full-back Toby Moss was doing well covering any danger when Techs did kick through and Devonport’s defence was good throughout the whole game, stopping Techs’ dangerous backs.

And the hosts got a third try on 54 minutes from another line-out move following a penalty. This time it was experienced lock James McQuillan who got the ball down to make it 23-9.

Techs had plenty of pressure in the final 15 minutes of the game but Services kept them out and in the 80th minute they added a fourth try through Richards, which Tom West converted.

Techs still pressed for a try in injury-time. They were denied a couple of times on the line and were then ruled to have knocked over the try line with the last play of the game.

Services will now play Plymstock Albion Oaks in the final next Wednesday.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Leave a Reply