Devonport Services IIs produce sensational second half display to win RNEC Cup

DEVONPORT Services IIs produced a sensational second half display to win the RNEC Cup by beating their Saltash counterparts 55-16 at the Rectory on Wednesday night.

There was hardly anything to choose between the teams in the first period, with Services going in at the break just 17-16 in front.

But it was one-way traffic after the interval with 17-year-old number eight Pete Medford helping to inspire Services seconds to victory.

Saltash IIs were just unable to stopped the teenager cutting through them time after time

Medford finished with two tries, but could easily have matched his team-mate Tim Weale, who collected a fine hat-trick.

Weale gave Services the lead in the fourth minute with his first touch-down of the night, before Steve Down reduced the gap to 5-3 with a penalty for Saltash.

Fly-half Weale crossed for a second try in the 15th minute when he dived over in the right corner. He also brilliantly converted to make it 12-3.

Saltash, though, hit back with a good try under the posts by captain and full-back Kieran Hurrell, who also converted.

Hurrell then kicked two penalties to put the Ashes 16-12 in front.

But in first half injury-time, Morgan Gilbert went over in the right corner to give Services a 17-16 advantage at the break.

The first period had been a really entertaining and competitive game, but the second 40 minutes were totally dominated by Services IIs.

Saltash defended really well to keep their opponents out in the first 10 minutes of the half.

Services did have two tries disallowed before they finally got the try they threatened in the 53rd minute when centre Dane Waryck scored a wonderful effort under the posts, made by some pinpoint passing and pace. Weale converted to put Services 24-16 up.

Once they got that try the floodgates opened for Devonport.

Weale claimed his hat-trick in the 56th minute when he went over the whitewash after good play from a scrum. He also converted to make it 31-16.

Medford then got the try he deserved four minutes later, which Weale converted.

Almost straight from the restart Medford broke 40 metres and looked like he was going to score on the right but somehow Saltash stopped him a foot away from the line.

Services were reduced to 14 men for 10 minutes in the 66th minute but it did not stop them scoring.

Weale kicked a penalty before the dangerous Medford added his second on 71 minutes.

After wasting two penalties – one to the corner and one at goal – Services did get over the 50-point mark when prop Charles Horn crossed in injury-time.

Leave a Reply