Football / Gallery

WOMEN’S FOOTBALL: Argyle suffer late blow, while Plympton reach cup final

PLYMOUTH Argyle suffered a blow to their hopes of staying in the FA Women’s National League Southern Premier Division after conceding a last-gasp goal in a 1-1 draw away at BillericayTown.

The Pilgrims looked on course for a much-needed three points after Lily Greenslade fired in late in the first half from a Kate Dickson free-kick.

But deep in injury-time sixth-placed Billericay broke Argyle’s hearts with a Che Thomas goal which means the Pilgrims’ hope of staying up are now out of their hands.

The Greens are one place and two points above the relegation zone, but they only have one match to go, whereas Bridgwater United, who sit just below them, still have two games to play.

Argyle face a home match against fifth-placed Milton Keynes Dons, while Bridgwater will play ninth-placed London Bees, who are still not safe themselves, home and away.

However, the Pilgrims take a break from the pressure of the league this week when they play Exeter City in the Devon Cup final at Newton Abbot on Friday evening.

In the South West Women’s Premier Division, Liskeard Athletic had to settle for a 1-1 draw against title-chasing Torquay United on Sunday.

Torquay took the lead in the opening couple of minutes with a long-range goal from Connie Pengelly, but not long later she was sent off.

Liskeard equalised with a good goal from Gabi Alphous before the game was held up for 75 minutes due to a nasty knee injury to Torquay’s Sasha Mole.

Despite having an extra player, Liskeard could not find a breakthrough in the second half.

Liskeard, like Argyle, will be looking for cup success on Friday when they play Helston in the Cornwall Cup final at Poltair Park.

In the South West Women’s League Western Division, already-crowned champions Marine Academy Plymouth were beaten 2-1 away at third-placed Feniton after conceding a last-gasp goal.

After winning the title three weeks ago, Marine travelled up the A38 with a depleted squad. Beth Overton scored their only goal in east Devon, with Sian Aslett and Megan Williams netting for Feniton.

Plympton convincingly secured their place in the final of the Devon Women’s League Cup by beating Plainmoor 6-1 at Windmill Hill.

Ellie Dalton scored twice for Plympton, who also had Lois Igalawuye, Sam Metters, Mollie Naughon and Charlotte Jeffery scoring.

In the Devon Women’s League South & West Division, Lakeside Athletic scored four goals in just over 20 minutes at the start of the second half to beat rivals SB Oak Villa 4-2 at Weston Mill.

Oak Villa had the better of the first half but could not find the net and the game changed straight after half-time when Lakeside scored out of nothing with a hopeful cross-cum-shot.

That was quickly followed by two goals in two minutes. The game then was held up for a while after Oak Villa were incensed after one of their players appeared to be head-butted. The referee did not take any action and Lakeside got a fourth not long after play resumed.

Oak Villa did finish strongly and they were awarded a penalty late in the game. Abi White’s spot-kick was initially brilliantly saved, but she fired in the rebound.

And Oak Villa added a second when Freya Jackson scored, but the hosts just ran out of time to get anything out of the contest.

However, Signal Box Ladies, who were also playing at Weston Mill on Sunday, did enjoy a big 11-0 win over Shaldon Villa, who did arrive with only 10 players.

Maya Felgate bagged a hat-trick for Signal Box, with Ellie Pearce and Olivia Lennox both netting twice and Neve Mitchell, Aimee Sharples, Ruby Kean and Anna Rose Schwartz-Canto also scoring.

Signal Box are now just one place and three points behind SB Oak Villa with two games in hand.

Hunters District were beaten 4-0 away at Paignton Villa on Sunday.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

All pictures are low resolution and are protected by copyright so should not be used without permission.


Leave a Reply