WOMEN’S FOOTBALL: Argyle see off Portsmouth to claim back-to-back wins

PLYMOUTH Argyle made it two wins out of two in 2022 by beating Portsmouth 2-1 at Manadon in the FA Women’s National League Southern Premier Division on Sunday.

The victory followed on from the Pilgrims’ 5-1 success over Cardiff City seven days earlier and moves them up to 11th in the table and within three points of safety.

All the goals in Sunday’s ‘Dockyard Derby’ came in the first half.

Beth Ireland put Argyle ahead in the sixth minute after minutes earlier heading off her own line to deny Portsmouth.

Gabi Alphous had a shot saved not long later before Argyle showed plenty of solid defence to keep Pompey out.

However, after shaving the woodwork from a corner, Portsmouth did eventually equalise with Jazz Younger firing in after Argyle goalkeeper Soper had initially saved well.

But the visitors were not on level terms for long as five minutes later Alphous was brought down in the penalty box and Zoe Cunningham stepped up to fire the resultant spot-kick home.

Portsmouth came out in determined mood for the second half but Argyle defended resolutely. Amber Pollock and Alphous had chances at the other end before Pompey threw everything at the Greens in the final few minutes but Argyle did really well to keep them at bay.

Marine Academy Plymouth’s game against St Austell in the South West Women’s Premier Division was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

In the South West Women’s Western Division, leaders Plymouth Argyle U23’s drew 1-1 away at Liskeard Athletic.

Jasmine Allen fired Argyle’s youngsters ahead but fourth-placed Liskeard equalised to share the points.

Saltash United, meanwhile, lost 3-1 at home to second-placed Feniton in the same division on Sunday.

The Ashes had been 1-0 up at half-time thanks to an early goal by Dee Newman but Feniton hit back in the second half thanks to goals by Brittany Harris (2) and Megan Williams.

In the Devon Women’s League Western Division, the match between Lakeside Athletic and Signal Box Oak Villa was abandoned after 20 minutes due to the state of the Parkway pitch.

Leave a Reply