WOMEN’S FOOTBALL: Argyle handed home tie in fourth round of FA Cup after seeing off Clapton

PLYMOUTH Argyle will face either Gillingham or Charlton Athletic at home in the fourth round of the Women’s FA Cup.

The Pilgrims progressed through to the last 32 by seeing off lower league Clapton Community 5-0 at Kimberley Stadium on Sunday.

Clapton, the lowest ranked team left in the competition, had caused a major upset in the last round by knocking out Argyle’s league rivals Hounslow.

The Pilgrims, though, produced a professional display to see off the tier seven side at Saltash United’s ground, with their fitness and experience telling in the second half.

The Greens led 1-0 at half-time with Natasha Knapman opening the scoring after just eight minutes following good play by Zoe Cunningham.

After the interval, the pair swapped roles with Knapman turning provider for Cunningham.

In the 60th minute Argyle made it 3-0 when Amber Pollock marked her return to action after two years out with an ACL injury with a goal after more good play by Cunningham.

And in the final 10 minutes, Jemma Rose made it 4-0 after Emily Eaton played her in and then Imy Crawford completed the scoring with a fine long-range effort.

Meanwhile in the South West Women’s Premier League, Marine Academy Plymouth went down 6-1 away at Royal Wootton Bassett Town having travelled with a depleted team to Wiltshire.

Samantha Drewery scored Marine’s only goal, with Libby Davies bagging four for the hosts, who also had Lisa Coe and Amber Egerton scoring.

In the Cornwall Women’s Football League Division One, Saltash Borough enjoyed an impressive 6-2 home victory over Mousehole at Saltmill.

Sam Metters bagged a hat-trick for Borough, who also had Molly Gill netting twice and Lucy Borthwick on the scoresheet. Jazmine Spencer-Amos claimed Mousehole’s two goals.

In the same division, Saltash United Development drew 4-4 in a thriller at Penryn.

The hosts were leading 3-1 at half-time, with Jaz Hervin getting the Ashes’ only goal in the opening 45 minutes.

But after the interval the visitors came back and went 4-3 up with goals from Billy Swan, an own goal and a strike by Ella Stevens. However, Penryn dug deep to score a fourth and earn a share of the points.

Leave a Reply