Football / Gallery

WOMEN’S FOOTBALL: FA Cup disappointment for Marine Academy and Callington

MARINE Academy Plymouth and Callington Town both saw their Women’s FA Cup dreams come to an end on Sunday.

South West Premier Division unbeaten leaders Marine Academy were shocked 5-3 at home by Cornwall League side Helston, while Callington lost 2-1 at home to league rivals Ilminster Town.

Marine Academy had gone into Sunday’s first round qualifying match in tremendous form, having scored 43 goals and conceded just one in their opening four league and cup games. But, despite taking an early lead on Sunday, they never really got going against an impressive Helston team.

Marine got the start their wanted at Ivybridge by going ahead with a fine goal from Jana Richards in the seventh minute.

Helston, who had beaten Saltash United 5-4 in the last round, missed a great chance six minutes later before they did level the match on 27 minutes. They then went in front in the 36th minute when Marine Academy scored an own goal.

Marine did equalise just before half-time when Izzie Scott scored following a one-on-one with the goalkeeper.

But the hosts did not push on from that and Helston got control of the midfield and dominated the opening period of the second half. They hit the bar in the 53rd minute before they did score a third a minute later.

There was a crucial 60 seconds midway through the second half when Samantha Drewery had a goal disallowed and then hit the bar for Marine Academy.

But as the hosts went looking for an equaliser they got caught with two goals in the space of four minutes as Helston went 5-2 ahead. Sasha Sparks (2), Katy Barker-Thomas and Abigail Locke got on the scoresheet for them.

Marine, who struggled to find a final pass all afternoon, did throw everything at Helson in the closing minutes. Drewery scored from a free-kick with 11 minutes to go but they could not add to that.

Callington also took the lead in their FA Cup tie against Ilminster, with Gabi Alphous netting after good play by Georgie Talbot.

But Ilminster levelled when Abbie Carslake scored from a penalty before they took the lead with a counterattack goal from Collette Martin.

Callington had two great chances in the second half but could not take them.

As an FA Women’s National League Southern Premier Division side, Plymouth Argyle do not enter the FA Cup until a later stage.

But at the moment they are just desperately trying to find some form in the league.

On Sunday they suffered their fourth consecutive defeat as they were beaten 7-0 away at Portsmouth.

It was their second 7-0 loss in three games, having also gone down by the same score to Cardiff City.

“Disappointing performance and result from the girls,” said Argyle manager Ryan Perks after the heavy loss at Pompey. “Fair play to Portsmouth and (head coach) Jay Sadler it was a great team display (from them) and ruthless finishing.”

Becki Bath scored a hat-trick for Portsmouth, who also had Jade Widdows and Danielle Rowe netting twice.

In the South West Western Division, Plympton earned a 3-3 draw away at league leaders Alphington.

Samantha Metters, Shannon Workman and Dionne Igalawuye scored for Plympton, with the experienced Helen Kukor (2) and Sophie-Louise Simpon netting for the hosts.

The game saw both teams have a player sent off.

Saltash United made it two wins out of two in the Cornwall League East Division by beating Wadebridge 6-0 at Kimberley Stadium.

The Ashes got the perfect start with Devon Simmonds firing them ahead after just three minutes.

She then added a second goal in the 25th minute.

It became 3-0 for Saltash when Mia Lawrence scored with a fine volley. She also added the fourth before Lucy Chilcott netted. The final word went to Dani Harper, who scored the sixth.

In the same division, Callington Town Reserves had to work hard for a 1-0 win at Saltash Borough, with the experienced Gemma Farley netting the only goal of the derby contest.

In the Devon League Premier Division, Signal Box Oak Villa lost 3-1 away at unbeaten Halwill, while Activate were beaten 4-0 away at league leaders Liverton.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Swipe to see full gallery. All pictures are low resolution and are protected by copyright.


Leave a Reply