Gallery / Rugby

GALLERY: Plymouth Combination edged out by Torbay Sharks at the Rectory

DEVONPORT Services scrum-half Dylan Daley scored two tries but they were not enough to help the Plymouth Combination win the Graham Emond Trophy on Friday night at the Rectory.

The Plymouth select side were beaten 28-19 by a strong Torbay Sharks team in the representative match.

The Combination, playing their first game in two years, were leading 19-14 at the break with Will Morton also scoring, but Torbay hit back after half-time to claim the win.

The fixture, which was being played in Plymouth for the first time since 2015, was well supported by clubs.

Nearly every Combination side were represented with players coming from Devonport Services, Saltash, Liskeard-Looe, Tavistock, Plymstock Albion Oaks, Plymouth Argaum, Old Techs, Tamar Saracens, OPMs, Pennisula Medical School, Plympton Victoria and St Columba & Torpoint.

The Sharks’ squad was made up of players from Newton Abbot, Teignmouth, Paignton, Torquay, Brixham and Dartmouth.

Torbay settled the quicker and went 14-0 up in the opening 20 minutes. They took the lead after less than two minutes when Teignmouth fly-half Faolan Lidstone dived over for a try, which he also converted.

Plymouth then had a good spell of pressure but could not score and on 19 minutes Newton Abbot winger Max Snowdon scored with a good counterattack. Experienced scrum-half Alex Jeffery added the conversion.

But gradually the Combination side found their feet and their backs looks dangerous when they got the ball.

There was a lot of pace in the Plymouth side with Cornwall winger Morton, Services winger Matt Neyle-Opie, Tavistock’s Ethan Lamerton and Tamar Saracens’ Fraser Tatchell and they used it well in the final 12 minutes of the first half.

Morton got the hosts back into the match with a try on 29 minutes and almost straight away Plymouth added a second when Tavistock centre Lamerton made a great break before feeding Devonport Services’ Dylan Daley to score. Old Techs’ Billy Evans added the conversion to leave the Combination just two points behind.

And by half-time the Plymouth select side had gone 19-14 ahead with an impressive backs try started by Old Techs centre Matt Simmonds. He broke from deep in his own half and then brilliantly off-loaded to Morton, who drew the last man before feeding young scrum-half Daley to score his second try. Evans again converted.

But Plymouth, who found it hard to win line-out ball, lost their momentum after the interval and the Sharks scored two tries in four minutes early in the second half to seal the win.

The first came from Newton Abbot’s Devon prop Tom White before Torquay flanker Jake Bury scored. Former Devon player Jeffery converted both.

The Plymouth Combination are keen to have more representative games.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Leave a Reply