DHSOB Sharks under-16s win Cornwall 7s title and earn draw with touring team


DHSOB Sharks Under-16s claimed victory in the Cornwall Sevens tournament at Launceston’s Polson Bridge.

The Plymouth side won all six of their matches scoring 241 points against 29 conceded, beating Truro in the final 34-7.

That cup success came after the Sharks team had claimed a 19-19 draw with Bournemouth touring side Oakmeadians in an excellent test.

The Sharks included four members of their under-15 squad who stepped up for the afternoon.

And step up they did, claiming one of the home side’s three tries and coming within a hair’s breadth of scoring a second.

Both teams spent the first quarter of the match sussing each other out and only the Dorset side’s strong defence prevented winger Harry Groves scoring twice.

But it was the visitors who scored first, winning a scrum against the head in Sharks’ 22 for their flanker to crash over.

Sharks hit back almost immediately after winning turnover ball in their own 22. It was then sped through the centre’s hands to Groves, who ran from inside the 22 to score, bouncing two tacklers on the way. Ed Nettleship added the conversion.

Sharks failed to gather the resulting kick-off cleanly and gave away a needless scrum five metres out. From that, Oakmeadians flanker scored again.

Shortly after, another needless mistake inside their 22 cost Sharks another to make the half-time score 19-7 to the visitors.

However, this is a Sharks side experienced at coming from behind. After a small re-shuffle in the ranks, and the introduction of Joseph Lynch at flanker, the aggression and work-rate were ramped up. Within minutes, both number eight Scott Cooper and Lynch were held up over the line. From the second resulting scrum, Salter made amends for his missed tackle by punching through the Bournemouth defence, from where Groves had the space to score his second.

Second-row Jacob Gould, who had stepped up from the U15s, then came so close to scoring after some powerful rucking. He was literally on his way to the ground when a huge covering tackle smashed him into touch.

It wasn’t all going the way of the Sharks though, with Joshua Lynch and Jake Bourne hammering into tackles with intent to prevent further progress from the visitors.

But it was the Sharks – and another U15 player – Matt Mann, who ran in under the posts to score the last try of the match. Again, Nettleship added the extra to tie an enthralling match.



Leave a Reply