RUGBY ROUND-UP: Ivybridge bounce back in style at Bournemouth

Ivybridge rugby

IVYBRIDGE bounced back from their league and cup defeats at the hands of leaders Exmouth in style by beating sixth-placed Bournemouth 41-19 away on Saturday in National Three South West.

The Bridgers had been frustrated to miss out on the Devon Cup final by narrowly losing 18-9 to Exmouth in midweek in the semi-finals, having also lost to them in league days earlier.

But they put that behind them to run in six tries against Bournemouth.

Winger Tom Scoles, who should have scored a crucial try against Exmouth in mid-week, found his killer touch in Dorset. He collected three of Ivybridge’s six tries on Saturday, with Elliot Worrall, scrum-half Ben Watts and a penalty try accounting for their other touch downs.

The visitors made a great start and were 19-0 up in Dorset. Bournemouth got one back before the break, but Ivybridge continued their form after the interval, despite playing their third match in three day.

The victory means a top half finish could still be possible for Ivybridge in their first season at level five.


DEVONPORT Services paid for a slow start against promotion-chasing Exeter University in Western Counties West, losing 27-19.

Services had beaten the students at home earlier in the season, but up in Exeter they gave their hosts a 27-0 start.

They came back strongly in the second half with three tries courtesy of Matt Anstis, Sean Dunn and Luke Lomas but it was too little too late.

They remain eighth in the table, but they are now just four points above 12th-placed Crediton in a tight division.

Saltash appear almost certain to drop out of the league after they lost 32-16 away at Torquay.

They are now 14 points off safety with just six games to go.

After such an encouraging start to the season, they have not won since October.

Despite having lots of possession against fifth-placed Torquay, Saltash could only manage one try courtesy of Kyle Fenton.

Saltash now have a week off before taking on fellow strugglers Penryn at home on April 2.


TAVISTOCK have dropped into the relegation zone in the Cornwall/Devon League after going down 23-0 in a derby match against fourth-placed Plymstock Albion Oaks.

The home team belied their position in the first half and kept Oaks out, but after the interval the visitors took control, with former Tavistock player Richard Goldsby-West influential on his first return to Sandy Park.

Plymouth Argaum forward Mike Hunt was due to have surgery on Sunday after shattering his right leg in his side’s 33-17 defeat against promotion-chasing Withycombe at Bickleigh Down.

The experienced number eight/lock’s break was so bad that the game had to moved to Argaum’s second team pitch while he received treatment.

Argaum were 14-3 down at the time but they closed the gap to 14-10 with a Jake Turfrey try. However, their hopes of claiming a win ended when Withycombe scored two quick tries.

Tom Underwood did get a second for seventh-placed Argaum but it was not enough for them to get anything out of the match.

Withycombe, who are one game away from Twickenham in the RFU Senior Vase, remain third but have games in hand on second-placed St Ives.


OPMs will be playing in the bottom tier of league rugby next season after suffering relegation from Devon One on Saturday after losing 20-3 away at leaders Wessex.

It is the Old Boys’ second successive relegation after dropping out of the Cornwall/Devon League last season.

They battled hard against title-chasing Wessex and the match was closer than scoreline suggests, but a late converted try by the home club put the game beyond OPMs.

However, in the end their result at Wessex was irrelevant as third-from-bottom South Molton caused a major upset by hammering promotion-chasing North Tawton 38-0.

St Columba & Torpoint’s game with New Cross was postponed.

In Devon Two, Old Techs’ faint hopes of promotion were ended when they lost 11-10 away at Buckfastleigh.

Techs had the chance to win the game at the death but missed a penalty with the last kick of the game.

The visitors were leading 10-8 with time almost up but gave away a penalty in front of the posts that Buckfastleigh put over before they had one last chance to snatch the victory back.

Techs had been 10-3 up, but were not able to build on that.

Meanwhile, winless Plympton Victoria put up a good display against Salcombe before going down 26-5 at Marsh Mills.


TAMAR Saracens have their eyes on reaching the Lockie Cup final after overcoming Plymstock Albion Oaks IIs 44-0 at Ernesettle on Saturday.

The game was closer than the scoreline suggests and it was not until the second half that Sarries found their form and ran in some good tries.

They collected eight in total, with Dane Waryck collecting two and Sam Parker, Jack Martin, Joe Wyatt, Tom Siggery , Aaron Webb and Barry Sheldon also touching down.

Tom Rigby had a rare off day with the boot and only managed to convert two.

Coach Stuart Busfield said: “They (Oaks) were a good side. In the first half we spent a lot of time in their 22 but got nothing out of it because they were so strong in defence. They were really well drilled.

“But we had a few words at half-time and did some serious damage second half.

“However, it was a good challenge.”

Busfield said promotion-chasing Saracens are determined to make sure they do not finish a great season empty handed.

“Before Saturday’s match we talked about the disappointment of losing to Widden in the RFU Vase. We are very conscious that we could win nothing and we don’t want that to happen.”

He added: “Saturday was a good day for the club, as our juniors played at Albion, which has helped put us on the map a bit.”

Leave a Reply