RUGBY ROUND-UP: Paterson tells Ivybridge to keep learning and working hard

Lewis PatersonPLAYER-coach Lewis Paterson says Ivybridge just have to keep learning and working hard after another tough lesson in National Three South West.

The Bridgers were 13-7 up at half-time away at Lydney, who were unlucky to be relegated from National Two South last season.

However, the South Hams club’s hopes of ending a three-match losing run disappeared in the second 40 minutes, with Lydney coming back to win 27-13.

Ivybridge, missing Jordan Anderton, Don Loomes and Alex Hall, suffered from a heavy penalty count second half and that led to frustration, but Paterson says they have to learn to deal with situations like Saturday and find a way to return to winning ways.

“We have to remember where we have come from,” said Paterson. “Two years ago we were playing in Western Counties West.

“We’ve had two successive promotions and we are still learning. We are a young and inexperienced side playing against a lot of established National League clubs.

“Experienced teams don’t panic if they are eight points behind at half-time.

“We just have to keep working hard. Our main goal has always been to stay in this league. We started the season with a bang and we have shown we are capable of competing in this league, but we are going through our usual November blues.

“But it’s a learning curve. We just have to keep focusing on ourselves. It is tough at the moment, but I’m sure we can sort it out. Hopefully, with a bit of hard work we can get back to winning ways.”

He added: “Saturday was a tough day at the office. We had a really solid first half, but imploded second half. It was like we had settled for the first half. We did do some good stuff first half and it has been a long time since we have been eight points up at the break.

“Maybe subconsciously we settled for that. We were not disciplined enough second half. There were some awful decisions but you can’t rely on refs. We have to look at ourselves.”

Teenage winger Damien Ackerman scored an early try in the corner for Ivybridge after Paterson fed him and Joe Walker added a second touch-down from a good drive. However, Matt Grieveson was unable to convert either score, although he did kick a penalty.

Devonport Services also cannot seem to buy a win at the moment.

They were beaten 20-15 at bottom club Penryn in Western Counties West on Saturday.

After picking up a maximum 15 points from their opening three matches, Services have lost their last six in the league to drop into the bottom four.

Jamie Shone scored their two tries, with Matt Anstis kicking a conversion and penalty.

The game was won when Services had a player in the sin-bin and Penryn scored two tries.

Saltash rugbyThere was also disappointment for fellow Western Counties West side Saltash, who were beaten 35-23 at struggling Crediton.

The game between the two promoted sides was level at the break at 18-18, but Saltash paid for a couple of lapses of concentration.

The key try came early in the second half when Josh Lee scored for the home team before he added another. The Ashes points came from tries by Eatwell, Crofts and Rayner, with Max Venables kicking two penalties and a conversion.

In the Cornwall/Devon League, there was bitter frustration for Plymouth Argaum, who were controversially denied a much-needed win with the last play of the game.

Argaum, whose last win had come on October 10, lost 12-8 at home to Bodmin, having been 8-5 up with time up on the clock thanks to a Tom Holliday try and a Tom Richards penalty.

However, the visitors got a last-gasp penalty, which they opted to kick. However, the ball bounced off the upright and Bodmin were ruled to have scored a try even though they appeared to have knocked on.

The defeat saw Argaum drop one place to seventh.

Plymstock Albion Oaks stay in fifth after a 10-10 draw away at Falmouth.

Tavistock, meanwhile, enjoyed an impressive 59-26 victory over Exeter Saracens to end a run of three defeats.

In Devon One the matches between St Columba & Torpoint and North Tawton and OPMs were postponed and have been rescheduled for this coming weekend.

In Devon Two, DHSOB produced a tremendous comeback at home to Buckfastleigh Ramblers.

The Old Boys were 25-7 down with only 20 minutes to go but won 36-25 to claim only their second win of the season.

Director of rugby Mike Freeman feels the victory will now give his team belief. Although only sixth in the table they are now only six points behind second-placed Torrington.

“We played some great stuff,” said Freeman. “To come back like that was great. I was absolutely overjoyed, but they were gutted.

“After losing by just one point in the Lockie Cup the week before we need that. I think that will give the team belief.

“I knew if got within touching distance of them we could take it at the end. They (Buckfastleigh) just started to panic when we got it back to 25-19.”

DHSOB were 18-7 down at the break with Lopeti Faha scoring a converted try for the home team.

Buckfastleigh scored early in the second half to go 25-7 up before the comeback started.

Eddie Ramizani scored to make it 25-12 before Faha got two more to make it 25-24.

Their comeback was completed in the dying minutes when Vili Masa and Shawn Manu went over.

Old Techs leapfrogged above Buckfastleigh into fourth after they beaten city rivals Plympton Victoria 41-0.


Leave a Reply