Football / Gallery

WOMEN’S FOOTBALL: Disappointment for Argyle at Home Park, but late joy for Marine Academy

PLYMOUTH Argyle were watched by more than 2,000 people at Home Park on Sunday, but the bumper crowd could not help them upset fourth-placed Ipswich Town in the FA Women’s National League Southern Premier Division.

The Pilgrims ended up losing 5-0 after Ipswich scored three times in the final 10 minutes.

The first half was even until just six minutes before the break when Sarah Brasero-Carreira fired Ipswich in front from the edge of the box.

The visitors then added a second in first half injury-time courtesy of a free-kick from Bonnie Horwood.

Ipswich’s remaining goals all came in the closing stages with Natasha Thomas getting their third before see added another in injury-time to go with one from Anna Grey.

Argyle did have some chances but could not take them in front of a crowd of 2,122.

They remain in the relegation zone, three points from safety.

In the South West Women’s League Western Division, Marine Academy Plymouth are up to third with games in hand after a last minute goal secured them a 2-1 away win at Budleigh Salterton. Megan Boulton and Samantha Drewery were their scorers at Budleigh.

In the same division, Activate saw a 2-0 half-time lead disappear in the second period as they lost 3-2 at home to leaders Feniton. Wensday Wise had scored both Activate’s goal in the opening 45 minutes.

Fellow Western League side Saltash United were in Cornwall County Cup action on Sunday. They battled hard against higher league St Austell before going down 5-2.

Two goals in two minutes towards the end of the match made the game safe for National League Division One South West strugglers St Austell.

The visitors took the lead after just five minutes with a goal from Lucy Solloway, but Saltash equalised on 19 minutes when Katie Mace netted from a well-worked corner.

Solloway put the Saints back in front when she got clear and calmly beat the goalkeeper.

And the visitors made it 3-1 one at the break with a goal just before half-time from Francesca Poppy.

In a game played in changeable weather conditions, Saltash came out fired up for the second half.

They hit the post early on in the half and then pulled it back to 3-2 with a goal from Ella Stevens.

The Ashes then went pushing for an equaliser but in the closing stages, St Austell made sure of the victory with a goal for substitute Tegan Ridgment and another for Solloway.

Also in the Cornwall Women’s Cup, Liskeard Athletic were handed a walkover by Wadebridge Town.

In the Devon Women’s Senior Cup, Plymouth Argyle U23 overcame Plympton 3-2 on penalties after the quarter-final tie ended 2-2.

Olvia Skinner-Pelaz and Isabella Basket netted for Argyle, with Ellie Dalton and Charley Patman on the scoresheet for Plympton before the contest went to spot-kicks.

In the Cornwall Women’s League Division One, Saltash Borough were beaten 6-0 at home to Helston.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

All pictures are low resolution and are protected by copyright so should not be used without permission.


Leave a Reply