WOMEN’S FOOTBALL: Late agony for Argyle’s first team but their U23 side win again

PLYMOUTH Argyle suffered injury-time heartache as they lost 3-2 away at fourth-placed Gillingham in the FA Women’s National Southern Premier Division on Sunday.

The Pilgrims had been hoping for a win to move out of the relegation places, but ended up returning from their travels empty-handed.

In wind and rain, they had the better of the early exchanges and Natasha Knapman had two good chances before the visitors did take the lead when Imogen Crawford headed in a Rose Train corner.

Zoe Cunningham was then just wide with a shot before Knapman was denied by the Gillingham goalkeeper in a one-on-one situation.

And 10 minutes later the hosts pulled level with a shot from distance by Beau Parker.

Three minutes later, and just before the break, Gillingham took the lead with a long-range effort from Amy Russ.

Having got the lead, Gillingham tried to frustrate Argyle in the second period, but as the match went on the visitors created more and more chances and in the 87th minute they finally pulled level with Knapman firing in a Train cross.

But Argyle’s joy was short-lived as in injury-time, Phoebe Leitch managed to force the ball into the net after a shot had rebounded off the crossbar.

The defeat means Argyle dropped to second-from-bottom in the table, but they are only three points from safety with two games in hand.

However, there was better news for their under-23 team, who opened up a three point gap at the top of the South West League Western Division by beating second-placed Feniton 4-1 at Manadon.

Taylor Ford scored twice for the young Pilgrims, with Megan Bishop and Jasmine Allen also netting.

In the Devon Women’s League Western Division, Activate stay top of the table after they beat Teignmouth 3-1 at home thanks to goals from new scorers Sam Blake, Katie Haynes and Angela Heard.

In the same division, Lakeside lost 10-0 against second-placed Torquay Athletic seconds at Saltmill.

Leave a Reply