Football / Gallery

WOMEN’S FOOTBALL: Plymouth Argyle reach Devon Senior Cup final

PLYMOUTH Argyle have reached the Devon Women’s Senior Cup final once again after beating big rivals Buckland Athletic on penalties at Homers Heath.

The cup holders were trailing 2-1 with five minutes to go but a late goal from Wensday Wise took the match to spot-kicks, where the Greens triumphed 5-3.

The visitors had taken the lead on 21 minutes when Emily Mousley netted, but former Pilgrims star Natasha Knapman equalised for Buckland before the break.

Knapman then added a second after the interval before Wise’s 85th-minute strike kept Argyle’s cup hopes alive.

Pilgrims manager Ryan Perks said afterwards: “What a great result and performance from the girls. To get the team to where we are has been a great effort on and off the pitch from staff and players but the girls showed character today and believed in the process.”

The Greens will play Exeter City in the final after the Grecians overcame Marine Academy Plymouth 3-2 at Ivybridge.

Exeter led 1-0 at half-time thanks to a goal from Connie Pengelly.

The visitors then went 3-0 ahead with Anthea Kaptein netting and Pengelly adding a second.

But Marine finished strongly and set up a good ending with goals from Lucie Cooper and Sam Drewery.

Signal Box Oak Villa are through to the semi-finals of the Devon Women’s Supplementary Cup after a comfortable 8-2 home victory over Ottery St Mary.

Victoria Jasper and Shannon Workman both scored hat-tricks for the hosts in the quarter-final tie.

Jasper put Oak Villa ahead on 23 minutes with a fine effort from the right.

And, almost from the restart, she added a second when she bravely beat the goalkeeper to head in from a good Abigail White cross.

Five minutes later goalkeeper Faith Evans managed to get on the scoresheet when her big clearing kick bounced over everybody and into the net.

Ten minutes before half-time, Workman got her first before she added a penalty six minutes later to put her side 5-0 up at the break.

Jasper made it six after the interval when she broke through and rounded the goalkeeper to complete her hat-trick.

Ottery pulled two goals back before the visitors’ goalkeeper pushed a testing cross by Abigail Smith into her own net.

Oak Villa had a goal disallowed and Jasper was denied a number of times by the goalkeeper.

However, the final word went to the impressive Workman, who beat the keeper in a one-on-one situation.

Saltash United had been crowned Cornwall Women’s League Division East champions last weekend when they were handed a walkover by Wadebridge.

But their town rivals, Saltash Borough, could still finish second after they beat Callington Town Reserves 7-2 at Marshfield Parc on Sunday.

Sam Metters, who had made an instant impact for Borough, scored a hat-trick, with Lucy Borthwick, Sophie Perrin, Molly Gill and Beth Plumton also netting for the Saltash side, who stay third but do have two games in hand on second-placed Callington.

Meanwhile, Callington’s first team beat an Argyle development team 4-1 at Manadon on Sunday. Gabi Alphous, Chloe Williams, Katlyn Bentley and Erin Spiller scored for them.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Swipe to see full gallery. All pictures are low resolution and are protected by copyright.


Leave a Reply