Gallery / Rugby

GALLERY: Jamieson’s double helps Oaks to victory in RNEC Cup final

COREY JAMIESON enjoyed a successful return to the Rectory on Wednesday night as he scored two stunning tries to help Plymstock Albion Oaks to victory over Devonport Services II in the RNEC Cup final.

Jamieson had enjoyed a successful season with Services before the Covid pandemic and he proved the big difference in a tight final of a cup competition that was celebrating its 150th anniversary.

To mark the competition’s anniversary the Plymouth Combination awarded a man of the match award, which, not surprisingly went to Jamieson.

Oaks’ win made it a successful night for the Horsham Fields clubs as earlier in the evening their second team beat Plympton Victoria to win the Pedrick Cup.

They took the lead on Wednesday against Services II in just the second minute when centre Pete Keanie kicked a penalty.

The game was then held up for two lengthy spells due to injuries to both teams and Services lost their influential full-back Toby Moss.

Keanie then doubled Oaks’ advantage with another penalty before Jamieson scored his first try with a great long-range effort to make it 11-0.

Devonport had struggled to get going, but in the 35th minute they did close the gap with a catch-and-drive try by youngster Oli Symons.

The match stayed at 11-5 until half-time and then after the interval Jamieson scored his second try with another great run. Keanie converted to make it 18-5.

Services were getting frustrated, but they cut the gap with a try by John Mason, which Tom West converted.

West then kicked a penalty to make it a three-point game.

But almost straight away, Oaks got a penalty at the other end that Keanie kicked to make it 21-15.

Services were then penalised for crossing when they were close to scoring and straight away Oaks broke and nearly scored. Devonport did stop them at the last minute, but illegally according to the referee, who reduced them to 14 men for 10 minutes. And Keanie kicked the resultant penalty to make it a two-score game.

Oaks thought they had scored another try right at the death but it was ruled out. However, it did not matter as they made it a cup double for the club.

“It was a really good night,” said Oaks’ Aiden Taylor. “It is good to get some silverware – it’s the first time in four years. I’m delighted for the club.

“The game was a bit scrappy but we kicked our points.

“We didn’t play our best but we took our chances.

“I thought we defended really well as they came at us really hard, but I thought we deserved it in the end.

“It was great for the club to get two cup final wins.”

Devonport Services were disappointed that a number of decisions went against them on the night and head coach Mike Lewis felt the Plymouth Rugby Referees’ Society had made the ‘wrong’ decision with their choice of referee for the final.

“No matter what the result people were always going to question his decisions, even if he was perfect, because he was their former president,” said Lewis.

“But, just like last week, I was pleased with the way our players conducted themselves.”

Services’ defeat on Wednesday night means the club cannot win the four trophies in 10 days that they were hoping for.

However, they have a chance to bag some silverware on Saturday when they host Crediton at the Rectory in the Devon Senior Shield.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Swipe to see full gallery. All pictures are low resolution and are protected by copyright.


Leave a Reply