PLYMOUTH Corinthians’ Phil Bray took victory by just three seconds in the City Cycle Couriers’ 13-mile time trial in Cornwall on Sunday.
The sporting course, which started at Antony, just outside Torpoint, saw riders travel into a headwind down the A374 towards Liskeard before making the return journey with the wind on their backs.
Despite riding on home roads in south east Cornwall, Bray’s first ever solo open time trial win wasn’t easy, coming after a week of illness.
His time of 30 minutes and 46 seconds was three seconds too good for Rob Scott of the host club, with his City Cycle Couriers RT team-mate Paul Walshe coming third in 31.05.
Fastest junior home was Evan Rouse (North Devon Wheelers), whose time of 31.32 was enough for fourth overall. The fastest woman in eighth overall was Zoe Betteridge (North Devon Wheelers), who finished in 34.10.
- Philip Bray (Plymouth Corinthians CC) 30.46
- Rob Scott (City Cycle Couriers RT) 30.49
- Paul Walshe (City Cycle Couriers RT) 31.05
- Evan Rouse (North Devon Wheelers) 31.32
- Edward O’Connell (Essa Cycling Club) 31.53
- David Rouse (North Devon Wheelers) 32.36
- Mark Brearton (The Endurance Store) 33.19
- Zoe Betteridge (North Devon Wheelers) 34.10
- Andrew Gray (Champion System/VCUK) 34.23
- Steve Kirby (City Cycle Couriers RT) 34.42
- Andrew Parnowski (Alltrax) 35.01
- Adam Birnie (ESSA Cycling Club) 35.03
- Martyn Holmes (Mid Devon CC) 35.31
- Marvin Laing (City Cycle Couriers RT) 36.16
- Jenny Corser (Mid Devon CC) 36.16
- Tim Arkell (Wolverhampton Wheelers) 36.57
- Phil Young (Alltrax) 37.18
- Jess Duffy (Bikeshed Bianchi) 37.51
- Lucy Monk (Exeter Wheelers) 39.09
- Jasmine Gray (EliteVelo Kalas Sportswear) 39.21
- Colin Davey (Camel Valley C&TC) 45.06
Veteran: Paul Walshe (City Cycle Couriers RT) 31.05
Junior: Evan Rouse (North Devon Wheelers) 31.32
Woman: Zoe Betteridge (North Devon Wheelers) 34.12